Stay safe and cool during extreme temperatures
Waltham Forest residents are being urged to stay cool, hydrated and to check on vulnerable neighbours during the extreme hot weather this week.
The Met Office has issued today (24th August 2016) a level 2 heatwave alert for London.
Very hot weather can cause health problems especially for babies, young children and those aged 75 and over. The following advice has been issued for how people can avoid suffering any lasting ill-effects of the heat.
Among the key steps people can take to stay safe in the hot weather are:
- keep out of the sun between 11am and 3pm – if you have to go out in the heat, stay in the shade, apply sunscreen and wear a hat and light scarf
- wear light, loose - fitting cotton clothing
- avoid extreme physical exertion
- have plenty of cold drinks and avoid having excess alcohol
- eat cold foods - particularly salads and fruit with a high water content
- never leave anyone in closed, parked vehicle, especially children or animals
- keep homes cool by closing curtains in rooms that receive morning or afternoon sun - however be careful with metal blinds and dark curtains as these can absorb heat
- Turn off - non essential lights and electrical equipment.
People are also being urged to check on isolated, elderly, ill or very young people and ensure they are able to keep cool. If necessary people should call a doctor or social services if someone is unwell or needs further help.
More advice on how to cope in the warmer weather can be found on the NHS website and Public Health England's 'Keep cool at home checklist'.
Summer Bank Holiday
MONDAY 29th August 2016
PRACTICE WILL BE CLOSED
In response to patient feedback; patients can now book their appointments 2 weeks in advance.
Patients can book their appointments by phone or go online.
click the link below:
Please note that appointments for the nurses are bookable 6 weeks in advance.
When we are closed PLEASE DIAL 111. Calling 111 is free from both landlines and mobiles.
Do you need to see a GP over the weekend?
You can visit Chingford Service Hub at Parkside Medical Centre, 197 Chingford Mount Road, Chingford, E4 8LR.
Service Line Number - 020 8519 3999 (Open 9am to 5pm)
Oliver Road walk-in service closing 31 August 2016
Following public consultation and a decision by Waltham Forest Clinical Commissioning Group’s Governing Body, the walk-in service at Oliver Road will be closing on 31 August. The GP practices and other services at Oliver Road are not affected by this change.
If you have any questions about the closure of the walk-in service, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Churchill Walking Group - Why not join our fun and friendly walking group? Click here for more details - Churchill Walking Group
Patient Reference Group - Sign up using the link on the right under "Have your say"
The Bridge Group is the patient participation group for Churchill and Ching Way medical centre
(Site updated 24/08/2016)